Microsoft Exam 70-486 Study Guide

Hello all.  Recently, I wrote a study guide for the 70-480 exam (Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3).  I wanted to follow that up with another study guide for 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications.  The material and sections contained in this post were retrieved from the Microsoft | Learning site: Exam 70-486 - Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications.

I apologize, but the skills measured sections for 70-486 contain some sections that are more conceptual than focused on a particular technology in the ASP.NET MVC stack, so this post is not as robust (in terms of external links) as the last post.  For some sections, I broke down the conceptual sections into “talking points” that I could then link to research information for.  I will list these parts throughout the blog and mark them with “Talking Points” sections.  The idea is that you should be able to actually talk for a minute or so to each of these points to display that you are comfortable with conceptualizing and architecting solutions regarding the subject matter.

Exam Overview

So I will start off by saying that I found this test to be way more difficult than 70-480.  I passed on the first try, but barely skated by with a 718 / 1000 (passing is 700 / 1000).  I spoke to a colleague that works extensively with MVC and he too had difficulty with the test.  Just be warned that this is something you will most definitely want to study for.  Beyond this blog post, I strongly recommend the following resources (some cost money) for a more general overview of the concepts you will be tested on.

The Plural Sight training was helpful for the test, but would also be extremely helpful if you currently work with, or plan to work with MVC in the future.  The benefits outweigh the cost.  Worst case scenario, if you can get in on a free retake promo, you could take the test and if you fail, come back later and go through the Plural Sight training before you test again.

Training for the Test

Between the Plural Sight videos, the ASP.NET MVC 4 Tutorials, and the topics discussed below, I logged about 35 hours in overall study time.  I will admit that I have never actually worked with MVC 4, but I did build several projects a while back in the initial version of MVC that was released way back when.  I also keep up-to-date on the topic by reading wisdom provided by several awesome bloggers, such as Phil Haack, Scott Hanselman, Gu, and many others.

Testing Structure

Test consists of multiple choice A – D questions, multiple choice / multiple answer questions (checkboxes), and drag and drop answer sets.  Furthermore, the test also contains case studies.  Case studies consists of a fictional project concept that consists of business requirements, technical requirements, and code samples.  The questions will be related to the case study (scenario) and range from questions about debugging the code samples, questions about adding new functionality that meet the technical requirements and business needs, to conceptualizing / architecting scalable solutions.

So you probably read through that last atrocity of a run-on sentence and said to yourself, “ummm…  what?”  Do not be too overly worried about these questions.  You will see when you take the test that they’re not nearly as scary as they might sound.  Despite the fact that the test is timed, my recommendation is that you still take the time to read through the entire background information for the case study before proceeding to the questions section.  Some of the questions, you can get correct just by knowing what the technical requirements are for the case study.  Those are freebies, so take the time to read the sections and the time spent will be well worth it.

Test Content

As mentioned before in this post, many of the questions are very straight forward and hit on a specific features within the MVC 4 stack, but others are definitely more conceptual and require you to use critical thinking skills.  Therefore, it is very important that you not only understand the technical details of MVC 4 solutions prior to the test, but that you understand different applications (even infrastructure) architectures and what the benefits are of taking different approaches.  I don’t intend to scare you too much though.  Just spend the time studying, and you will be fine.

I would say that roughly 25-30% of the questions were more critical thinking questions than technology feature focused.  I actually remember (to the T) several of the questions, but I can’t repeat them here (sorry but maintaining my integrity as I promised Microsoft I would not divulge specific test questions).

Design the Application Architecture

Design the User Experience

Develop the User Experience

Troubleshoot and Debug Web Applications

Design and Implement Security

Reader Submitted Suggestions

Final Thoughts

Hopefully this post will help you pass the 70-486 exam, Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications.  If you found this information helpful, or have any thoughts or suggestions to add, please do so using the comments sections below.  Furthermore, share this with your friends and co-workers using the the social icons (Twitter, Facebook, etc).  I wish you the best of luck on your test.  Come stop by afterwards and let me know through the comments or on twitter (@myerscj) on how you do.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Reader's Comments »

1. By Arv on November 15, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Tnx very useful stuff. will you write an article about the third exam (70-487) ?

2. By chris on November 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Hi Arv, I have passed that exam and have a study guide (pretty sloppy) in a word document. If it would be helpful, I would be more than happy to format the document and post it here.

3. By Arv on November 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Of course it will be helpful, actually the third exam is a bit confusing because it covers different topics. I will really appreciate if you post it.
    tnx

4. By Finished my 2nd exam | Fabse-on-Blog on November 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

[...] best “meta”-resource for my learning was a blog entry by Chris summarizing all knowledge needed combined with links where to get it [...]

5. By Lerus on November 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for guide! Just passed the exam. Was indeed harder then expected. I join with Arv that guide for 70-487 would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

6. By Microsoft Exam 70-486 study guide | alertcoding on December 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm

[...] MCSD. However, there are no books released just yet. Although, I found this excellent study guide http://www.bloggedbychris.com/2012/11/06/microsoft-exam-70-486-study-guide/ which seems pretty extensive. Share this:TwitterFacebookLinkedInGoogle +1Like this:LikeBe the [...]

7. By Mukesh on December 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Fantabulous :)

Thanks to author

8. By Unknown on December 17, 2012 at 6:54 am

I personally would be very happy to see an article about the third exam (70-487). I am sure that even sloppy ordered links are far more than having none. Great posts and thank you for the provided help – I really appreciate it.

9. By vinay on December 17, 2012 at 7:43 am

Thanks for your valuable suggestions and the links. Looking for the third one (70-487).

10. By Joe on December 17, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Chris your study guides were and are extremely helpful. I am anxiously awaiting the last one 70-467. I have passed 480 thanks to you. I am studying for 486 and would very much like a guide for 487…. If you can please email me a copy…TY Joe

11. By Mayank Jain on January 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Hi, Your article is nice.I have a question? I want to get certification in MVC 4 but is it mandatory to give 70-480
    Certification before to give 70-486 exam?

12. By Ameen on January 7, 2013 at 12:10 pm

very informative article.

13. By chris on January 8, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Mayank, there is no specific order for the tests. I took them in the following order: 480 -> 486 -> 487. That was just based on what I viewed as easiest to most difficult. However, difficulty will obviously depend on your experience with the subject matter. I was the least experienced with Azure, so I saved this one for last.

14. [...] I expected it to be.  The study guide used for this test is a bit sloppier than my former posts (Microsoft Exam 70-486 Study Guide and Microsoft Exam 70-480 Study Guide) as well as very incomplete.  However, a number of readers [...]

15. By Brett on January 16, 2013 at 11:48 am

Hi Chris, used your guide to pass the 70-480 exam – thanks! This next, then onto 487.
    Plural Sight looks great (and I’ve signed up for the trial), but there are so many videos, some of which seem to overlap, can you suggest the best pluralsight courses to use for 70-486? Thanks again! (Would also love to see the 70-487 guide)

16. By Brett on January 16, 2013 at 11:50 am

Doh, please ignore my last post! Just read the top again and seen that you specify the courses! Ooops. Thanks for posting the 487 guide too.

17. By MohanDeval on January 23, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Great article, I am on the target, just finished 70-480, so 70-486 & 487 are the next.

18. By Roj on January 26, 2013 at 4:42 am

really thankful for the study guides.. i will study now… taking 486 on march :P

19. By Poornima on January 28, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Hi Chris,

As mentioned in your chat above, can you post your word document study guide here please?

Many thanks,
    Poornima

20. By chris on February 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Hi Poornima,

I ended up posting the guide for 70-487. It can be found here: http://www.bloggedbychris.com/2013/01/09/microsoft-exam-70-487-study-guide/

21. By Poornima on February 12, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for this :-) Do u have a similar one for 70-486? I followed your notes for 70-480. I passed with 900/1000 . Many thanks :)

22. By gunteman on March 28, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Many thanks! This helped pinpoint a few weak areas I had, and I sailed through it today. There were at least two questions on the exam with no correct answer whatsoever. It was easy enough to see which answer they were aiming for, but quite bad anyway, IMO.

23. By RyanD on April 2, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Hi Chris,

I just made a booking for the 486 exam,
    i have approximately 14 days to study.
    do you think its enough time to pass with flying colors?
    also considering the fact that I’ve been working with MVC3 for the past year.

24. By chris on April 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Hard to say Ryan. I think 14 days should be sufficient, but it largely depends on your past experience with EF and other products beyond MVC3. However, make sure you use Second Shot when registering. You should be fine. Good luck!

25. By Nathanael Schulte on April 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Thanks, Chris! I’ve been doing MVC development since version 1, and I still needed the help provided here to pass 70-486 today.

I’m definitely passing this info on.

26. By Crwydryn on May 2, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Just passed the exam. Wanted to say thanks for the guide as it was really useful. Keep it up!

27. By CodeGolem on May 29, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Passed today with a score of 925! Feeling happy! Thank you so much for this precious study guide!

28. By Shawn on June 3, 2013 at 2:12 pm

This is very helpful. I am taking the exam next week but if this is as good as the 70-480, cakewalk

29. By Sneha on June 11, 2013 at 10:57 am

Hi Chris,

I have only 2 years of experience in .Net development. I am preparing for the 70-486 exam. How much time do you think I will need to prepare for this exam

Regards,
    Sneha

30. By chris on June 14, 2013 at 5:39 am

@Snetha, That’s a great question!!! As a preface, I want to state that there are two ways to take these exams: 1) Study the material and pass the test… 2) COMPREHEND the material and pass the test. I will be honest and state that there are a few tests I’ve passed that fall under #1. Within that context, I am confident you will be fine with 2 years experience… HOWEVERRRRR, to be proficient in the subject matter you really need experience with it. To answer you question… Yes, you should be able to pass the test. However, to apply the material to a real world scenario will require dedication. You should experiment on you own time with MVC and Azure. If you can’t do so in you current position then look into ways that you could develop a proof of concept that reflects your expertise on the subject matter. Understand that, if you pass the test, employers / clients will expect you to be proficient in the subject matter and go from there.

31. By Sneha on June 14, 2013 at 11:17 am

Hi chris,

Thanks a lot for replying to my query. I completely agree with you, and currently I am focusing on experimenting with MVC using some of the existing real world applications.

Thanks again,

Sneha

32. By Jeremy Breece on June 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Under “Design and Implement Security”->”Implement a secure site with ASP.NET”->”implement deferred validation and handle unvalidated requests”
    try this link:

33. By http://62.161.44.16/uefa-euro-2012-app-orange on June 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Hello to every body, it’s my first pay a visit of this weblog; this blog contains awesome and actually excellent data for visitors.

34. By Raj on July 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hi Chris,

Just saw while trying to book for this test , its takiing the latest version “Developing ASP.NET MVC 4.5 Web Applications” , wondering if these (given above) will still hold good mate ?
    Regards
    Raj

35. By Jan Kratochvil on July 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Hi Chris,
    Thanks a lot for the guide, I passed the exam this week using your guide (I can also proudly say I didn’t use any exam dumps :-)).
    This was the first I took a Microsoft exam and I have to say I liked it a lot. Both the questions and the case studies seemed to really test the required skills and not pieces of trivia. Next up, 70-480 :-)

36. By Raj on July 11, 2013 at 8:45 am

Hi chris,
    Appreciate your work , very good links. Just couple of questions.
    1)Exam states verions as MVC 4.5 currently , so will your links still hold good ? Or additionally we need to prepare ?
    2)Do you suggest any books for preparing or are these links sufficient ? please reply, I am planning to take up the exam next month.
    Cheers
    Raj

37. [...] Microsoft Exam 70-486 Study Guide [...]

38. By chris on August 5, 2013 at 1:13 am

@Raj, answers to your questsions:
    1) Q-> “Exam states verions as MVC 4.5 currently , so will your links still hold good ? Or additionally we need to prepare ?”
    A-> It is .NET 4.5 framework version 4.5, but MVC version 4 on test 70-486. I assume that this is the test that you are referring to. There is a MVC 5 released, but I don’t believe there is a cert for this yet. I could be wrong though.

2) Q-> Do you suggest any books for preparing or are these links sufficient ? please reply, I am planning to take up the exam next month.
    A-> The PluralSight videos referenced and the content links should be sufficient. Every person is different though. Sometimes I need / prefer more guided and focused exam prep. For this I recommend trying to find a exam prep book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/184-0512156-1979202?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=70-486&sprefix=70-486%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A70-486

39. By Guilherme Morais (@onlyiceMac) on August 10, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Thanks for written this. You should really write for the final test… 70-487.
    O will use both guides and start my test now… Thanks a lot!!!(again)

40. By Mike Griffin on September 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm

This test is harder than hell, I just took, failed. 675 out of 700, not taking it again for two weeks. All I can say is you better understand everything in the Microsoft world. Go wide, I mean real wide …

41. By chris on September 23, 2013 at 2:26 am

@Mike Griffin, sorry to hear that Mike. I’m sure you’ll do fine on the next round. Good luck! You may have this, but for those that haven’t, always make sure to leverage Second Shot for your tests if the option is available: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/second-shot.aspx

42. By Sudheer on September 24, 2013 at 6:59 am

Hi Chris,
    The resources you mentioned are very good, thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to write 70-486 exam. I thought if I can complete the Instructor Led training course given by Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/course.aspx?ID=20486A, I can pass the exam. But When I saw your post it seems it is not only sufficient to pass the exam. Now I am confused, and which option should I take. Which one is more help full go get the certification, and how worth is the Instructor led training course? Please suggest me the best option.

43. By chris on September 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm

@Sudheer, probably not a great answer for your question. It’s definitely circumstantial. Some people learn better with classroom, instructor led information presentation, but others prefer a book. Alternatively, my site provides links to source information. I can’t certify that my blog post will help you pass the test, but often times the classroom overviews provide some guarantee. Sometimes, I find it difficult to diligently spend the time to study, which is where instructor led presentations can be more useful… My recommendation, use Second Shot and take the test. If you have trouble with it, then schedule the training and then retake for free: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/offers.aspx

44. By Sudheer on September 26, 2013 at 4:08 am

thanks for your suggestion Chris…:)

45. By Vivek S on October 16, 2013 at 6:33 am

Hi Chris,
    Using your post as reference I managed to pass the exam. However the case studies have 50% of the questions which definitely requires hands on. They involve lot of coding , so its better that the test takers do some hands on in order to attempt the case studies. The rest 50% can be attempted if we have strong development skills in the .NET world. You have summed them up perfectly as sub sections. I got 943 ( and surprised, since i got a higher score than you guys :))

46. By 70-486 ASP.NET MVC4 Web Applications MCSD Study guide- Part 2 | 70-486 ASP.NET MVC4 Web Applications MCSD Study guide on October 18, 2013 at 8:02 am
  47. By chris on October 19, 2013 at 8:05 am

@Vivek S, Nice work on the 943! Thanks for the updates on the case studies. This info will be helpful to readers.

48. By Al on October 27, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Chris… this is a great guide… I just took the classroom led 486 course for 5 days last week. I have been working in .net for about 9 years and MVC is very new to me (been in webforms forever). I scheduled the test for 2 weeks from Monday so I am hoping between the classroom education I got last week and your guides I am able to pass!… thanks

Just a heads up this is another vid you may want to add to your guide.. it was an 8 hour MS virtual academy vid on mvc 4 and this test.

49. By chris on October 31, 2013 at 8:29 am

@Al, thanks for the link. I will add that to the post for future readers. Good luck on your exam in a week and a half.

50. By Sean on November 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

Started studying for this Monday, and the exam is December 16th. Using your blog once again ;-)

51. By Sean on November 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Had to put off the exam till January. Time to study has become an issue and going through the content so far has shown me that I really need to buckle up. Still got hopes of getting the MCSD by the end of February in any event.

52. By Olivier on November 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

Hello Chris,
    Your guide is very useful to me. I have one extra question :
    I didn’t find any comments telling if you can choose between C#.net and VB.net
    Or are all the questions / cases / examples using c# ?

53. By Danish on December 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I started studying MVC 4 on 1st november and i have never worked on asp.net before, it’s almost impossible for me to pass 70-486 anytime soon because there is no proper study guide available particularly for this exam, i am using your guide but i think i should first pass 480 because it is covered in this exam aswell, i’m so confused and lost i don’t know what to do. I have few books on mvc but the exam seems to be out of scope from all those books, this exam is really broad imo.

54. By Sean on December 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

@Danish,

If you have no experience with MVC4 in my opinion, I agree with you and would tell you to start with the 70-480. There is an excellent training guide for 70-480, “Training Guide: Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 by Glenn Johnson”. That along with Chris’s blog and lots of practice helped me pass that exam even though I did still have to sweat through parts of the exam :)

As for the broadness of 70-486, I’d say unlike many of the materials that have to do with MVC4, this exam wants to test your ability to build highly scalable well engineered applications that you probably will be pushing to some form of cloud hosting (ala Azure, AWS or AppHarbor) vs deploying to an Arvixe (for example). It’s not only about hooking up controllers and partial views but goes much furthur.

Hope that rant helps.

Regards

55. By Roger on December 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

@Sean: You are right about the broadness of this test. I just took it (and failed) and have a couple of additional comments and tips for other readers:

1. It’s not “some form of cloud hosting”. It’s Azure. Quite a few of the questions were concerning deployment and configuring of Azure services. I understand if you mean that the skills involved with building cloud applications for Azure deployment can be applied to other cloud-hosting service as well, but the 70-486 exam solely focuses on Azure as platform (naturally).

2. The broadness of the exam makes it a bit difficult to study for IMO. There are only 45 questions, yet those questions are narrowly focused. Concrete examples of questions you’ll have to be able to answer in order to get everything right:

-How do you use RouteCollectionExtensions.MapRoute do define a custom route with default values? (Parameter list, order and type)

-What are the properties of the class System.IdentityModel.Claim and their meaning?

-What does jQuery.fadeOut() and jQuery.animate() do?

-If you are asked to redirect “IIS errors” to a custom error page, does that mean HTTP code 401, 403 or 404?

-What is the syntax for decorating a property for Email Regex validation?

-How does the CSS3 nth-child selector work?

-What kind of data types do you have available in System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.DataType?

-How to encrypt passwords in web.config

56. By Danish on December 15, 2013 at 12:14 am

@Sean,

Thank you sean, i will start studying for 70-480, i have some basic and intermediate knowledge of html and css although i am new to javascript i know the very basics, how much time should i take to prepare for this exam lets say i study 4 hours a day including 1 hour of practice. Thanks again.

57. By Sean on December 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

@Danish

I’m more a hands on kind of learner, so I did more practice than study. The beautiful thing about 70-480 is that all you need to practice is a basic text editor and a browser, that’s it. There are lots of things that you won’t appreciate until you actually see them applied in a browser.

58. By Akbar on December 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I have recently passed 70-513 WCF exam, Now i have started preparation for 70-486 exam, i feel this will be great combination (front end + Backend services), what you feel guys which certification best fits with 70-513 exam?

59. By JJ on January 8, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Hello Chris and anyone else who reads this, i will be attempting this exam 70-486 before the end of Jan. Does anyone know where practice exams for this can be found. Ideally one/ones which approximate quite closely to the actual exam and can reflect with reasonable accuracy where i stand in terms of being able to pass. I am quite worried about the exam as i dont really know what to expect in terms of questions

60. By geektips12.wordpress.com on January 22, 2014 at 3:22 am

I seriously love your blog.. Excellent olors & theme.
    Didd you build this site yourself? Plsase reply back as I’m trying
    to create my own personal website and want to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is named.
    Appreciate it!

61. By Sean on February 11, 2014 at 5:39 pm
  62. By Olivier on February 17, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Just did the 486 exam. All c#. Intelligent questions. Would agree with Mike Griffin. If you can afford it, learn a few weeks and just take the exam so you won’t lose to much time guessing and searching. If you fail your study will be much better focused.

63. By chris on February 24, 2014 at 2:53 am

@geektops12.wordpress.com, the Theme I use is ‘Sunset’. I made some minor modifications to the CSS colors and sizes to support the max & min width I aim to support. Beyond that, my site implements the out-of-the-box theme. Personally, I’m not sold on it, but I have not had much time to tweek things lately.

64. By chris on February 24, 2014 at 2:54 am

Test

65. By chris on February 24, 2014 at 2:57 am

@Akbar, upon passing the 70-486 exam (only), you will receive the MSTS certification badge. Once you have completed all 3 tests, you will receive the MSCD badge (logo). The 70-480 comes with a different badge altogether if I recall. I believe it is MCS (Microsoft Certified Specialist). Don’t quote me on that though. I have not checked the certification site in a bit.

66. By Seema on March 4, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Hi Chris,
    I read your articles about 70-480 & 70-486.They are very helpful. My question is, Is there any order for taking MCSD exams? Can I directly take the exam 70-486 or do I need to pass any other exam like 70-480 before taking 70-486?

Thank you.

67. By Seema on March 4, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Hi Chris,
    please ignore my previous comment. You have already answered this question.

Thank you.

68. By Microsoft 70-486 Study guide- Part 2 | Vivek's Own on April 1, 2014 at 6:55 am
  69. By candy crush facebook free trainer download on April 2, 2014 at 6:25 pm

You are so interesting! I don’t think I’ve read through anything like this before.
    So good to find someone with a few genuine thoughts on this issue.
    Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This web site is something that is needed on the internet, someone
    with some originality!

70. By -H- on April 2, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Hi there,

The following can help when studying for the 70-486 exam (Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications) exam:

It should be possible to download a PDF version of the links if you want to.

Also the following books are good to read:

- Programming ASP.NET MVC 4 by Jess Chadwick, Todd Snyder, and Hrusikesh Panda

- Professional ASP.NET MVC 4 by Jon Galloway, Phil Haack, Brad Wilson, K. Scott Allen

The exam will be updated (starting April 30, 2014), see links:

There is currently a 3 for 1 offer available until May 31st, 2014, see link below for details:

thanks

71. By july jade on April 11, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Many thanks Chris for gathering and posting all the stuff related to MCSD exams. I strictly followed your blog for the 70-480 and scored a decent 870 and I am very happy :) I am totally relying on this material for 70-486 that I am planning to take this month. Please let me know if the Plural sight training a must?

72. By Matt on April 18, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Lately I seem to be running into a lot of people who think that a run-on sentence is simply a long clumsy poorly written sentence. That’s wrong. A run-on sentence is a specific grammatical error in which a sentence contains two independent clauses which are not separated by any punctuation—regardless of the length. For example “It’s cold outside I wore my coat.” is a run-on sentence because the second (would be) sentence runs on to the first. A run-on sentence is essentially a comma splice without the comma.

By the way thanks for the exam info :)

73. By chris on April 26, 2014 at 2:03 am

@july jade, congrats on passing the test. The PluralSite videos are not a must, but help provide a firm grasp of the content. if you need access to PluralSite, reach out to me via the email address on my about page and I can set you up with a 30 day trial account

74. By Harold on May 4, 2014 at 8:34 am

Hey there! I’ve been reading your site for some time now and finally
    got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out
    from Huffman Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic
    job!

75. By Garcia Souza on May 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hi Chris, good whatever(morning, afternoon, evening) for you. I’m an brazilian guy studying to try the 70-486 exam and I have to say thanks to your guide, it’s very helpful. As I can see, this exam looks dificult including a lot of knowledge and because of this I thought that if I can pass in this exam it means that I’m ready to work, I’m ready to recognize me like an Software Engineer, not a master, but at least junior or beginner. What do you think about the title of Engineer? Since now thank you!

76. By Anita on May 20, 2014 at 8:15 am

Hi Chris

My son did his 70-480 exam twice. He learnt very hard and fail both with 400 or so marks. He has just started working using html, Css and Javascript and MVC. They are going to put him through training, but I wanted him to be more prepared. He needs all the help he can get. Please help!

77. By Anita on May 20, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hi Chris

Sorry I put in the wrong email address. My son needs help with passing his 70-480 and 70-486 exams. Can you pass with not experience only training? He has done 70-480 exam twice and failed with 400 to 500 points. He needs all the help he can get. He has just started working using Html, CSS and Javascript and MVC. They are putting him through training. How can he be totally prepared for these exams? Please help.

78. By Anita on May 20, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hi Chris

Sorry I put in the wrong email address.

79. By Atit on June 2, 2014 at 7:33 am

What’s your opinion about this post on pluralsight blog? http://blog.pluralsight.com/asp-net-mvc-4-microsoft-exam-70-486

80. By chris on June 3, 2014 at 6:09 am

@Atit, both the author Mike Woodring and the site PluralSight I hold in high regard. I have never taken the course, but on that alone, would highly recommend it if you need additional training. Many people have passed this test using this guide and/or independent study. However, the video provides a more guided experience and is probably more up-to-date than this post, since the test was recently updated.

81. By chris on June 3, 2014 at 6:16 am

@Anita, experience is not required, but is highly recommended. There are other ways to gain experience than through working for a company. I would recommend that he create an independent project (a web site proof of concept) and create something using the skills that he will be tested on. Hands on training is the best way to learn in my opinion. He will most likely make mistakes while implementing (as we ALL do) and through this will gain a firm grasp of things.

82. By chris on June 3, 2014 at 6:21 am

@Garcia Souza: Good luck on the test. I for one cannot say I’m a master… As soon as I master one concept, a new concept or technology paradigm arises. Few will ever reach the master level (not to say that you cannot), but what’s important is to enjoy the journey there. With each step you will become better and better at what you do, which is very rewarding