Microsoft Exam 70-480 Study Guide

I’ll keep things short and sweet in this post.  The content below will cover all of the sections described in the “Skills Measured” section of the Microsoft article that describes the Microsoft Certification exam 70-480: Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3.  I was not surprised to find that the vast majority of the test topics are discussed on the following three sites: http://w3schools.org/, http://www.w3.org/, and http://jquery.com/.  Since all three of these sites provide extremely reliable information, I attempted to stick with these three sites for all of the study guide materials.  You will find that for the most part I was successful.  Enough of my rambling though.  Let’s get started.

Skills Measured

This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below.  The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam.  The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam.

The information after “This objective may include but is not limited to” is intended to further define or scope the objective by describing the types of skills and topics that may be tested for the objective. However, it is not an exhaustive list of skills and topics that could be included on the exam for a given skill area. You may be tested on other skills and topics related to the objective that are not explicitly listed here.

Microsoft Learning (09/18/2012): http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-480#tab2

Exam Overview

I am proud to say that as of today I have passed this exam!  Don’t get me wrong.  I didn’t score any A+ score, but an 800 was enough to put me in the passing range, which isn’t too bad for a guy that works more in the CS (connected systems) world than on UI and CAD (custom application development).  After passing the test, I wanted to provide some information around my experience on the subject matter, how much time I’ve spent studying, and the test itself to help readers better prepare for the test.

My Experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

I started my career in the .NET stack as an ASP.NET Web Forms developer about 6-7 years ago.  I spent about 4 years dealing heavily with the technology until I moved more of a connected systems / EAI developer.  In those four years, I worked heavily with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (specifically jQuery and the prototype JavaScript framework).  In my final years of web development I spent some time with MVC.  So altogether, about 1 year of explicit JavaScript, CSS, and HTML and about 3 years of HTML / JavaScript / CSS via Web Forms.

Training for the Test

I have been researching HTML5 for about a month now and stepped into hard core study mode for the test about a week ago.  Altogether, I have spent somewhere in the range of 30 hours studying for the test.

Test Structure

In terms of structure, one feature that was new to me on the Prometric test was the interactive questions.  Maybe I’m just out of the loop on the new testing structure, but this concept is new to me and I’m more familiar with standard multiple choice question and answer.  Test consists of questions that force the test taker to drag and drop items onto a story board in order to describe code, order of operations, or layout views. Also contains the standard multiple choice A-D questions as well as multiple choice / multiple answer (check boxes) questions.  The test is timed, but at no point did I feel rushed or stressed.

Test Content

The test content surprised me a bit.  I was expecting the test to be focused predominantly on HTML5 and CSS3 new features.  In fact, I was somewhat surprised as I put the study guide together as the topics seemed a bit more focused on general topics rather than new feature sets.  This realization was confirmed after taking the test.  Overall, I would say that most of the test focused on general HTML, CSS, and JavaScript features.  Some features that I was tested on date back to the original early stages of HTML, such as prototypes and class extensions.  Therefore, even if you’re a master of the new HTML5 features, I would recommend refreshing a bit on some of the core concepts including document.getElementById().

Sorry, but I yanked a section I had here previously.  I’ve read through Microsoft’s test contract a few more times now and although I don’t feel that I was breaking any of the rules, the semantics used in the contract are a bit open ended.  Therefore, I figured it would be safer to pull the content.  Sorry folks!  The rest of this study guide lays out the topics in more detail.  These topics are pulled straight from the Microsoft site that discusses the test.

Implement and Manipulate Document Structures and Objects

This part is specified as 24% of the test content.

Implement Program Flow

This section is marked as 25% of the test.

Access and Secure Data

This topic spans 26% of the test

Use CSS3 in Applications

25% of the test will consist of material discussed under this heading.

Additional Resources

Beyond the resources that I listed above, some of the comments have linked to some additional reference material that I found to be helpful as well.

Wrapping Things Up

I really hope that this study guide helps you as much as it has helped me.  After you take the test, please be sure to update the comments and let me know if this guide was helpful.  If you like this post, please share your favorite social network using the links below.

Tags: , , , , ,

Reader's Comments »

1. By Ruben on September 27, 2012 at 3:00 am

Your input is very valuable, thank you very much!!

2. By Julian on October 4, 2012 at 12:15 am

Thanks a million. There is not much on the web that focuses on what is covered on this test. Great job!

3. By chris on October 4, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thank you Julian. If you’re planning to take obtain the MCSD certification, then stay tuned to my blog as I will discuss the other certifications for that track on here as well.

4. By Stuart Dobson on October 12, 2012 at 5:29 am

Hey man,
    Great guide, I’m working through it :)

I found the following is a better guide for Web Sockets, the W3C link has a lot of techno-gubbin noise…

5. By chris on October 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Thanks Stuart! I’ve added that link to the post in the WebSockets section. Great information in that article.

6. By rafael on November 3, 2012 at 5:04 pm

thanks cris
    your study guide has helped me absurdly
    you’re the man!!

7. By 70-480 Certification « Lorant Domokos on November 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm

[...] objects, inheritance, WebSockets, Geolocation and some other topics. Another helpful resource is Chris’s blog post that tries to provide links for each measured skill defined in the exams [...]

8. By Blogged By Chris » Microsoft Exam 70-486 Study Guide on November 6, 2012 at 6:38 am

[...] all.  Recently, I wrote a study guide for the 70-480 exam (Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3).  I wanted to follow that up with another study guide for 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web [...]

9. By Girija on November 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Great Material. Not much is available on the internet. Thanks

10. By Anuj on November 12, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Chris what is the minimum score to be obtained to get certificate.

11. By chris on November 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hi Anuj, 700/1000 or better is passing

12. By José on November 14, 2012 at 2:57 am

Hi all,
    I recently registered for this test so I can take it next month.
    This is great information thanks
    If you still have not registered use the promo code HTMLJMP
    For FREE try at this. Also remember that second shot offer is still a thing.
    Good luck

13. By Manjunath on November 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

Chris,

Thanks a ton. Your blog helped me to clear the certification today.

For the rest of the guys planning to take this exams. I went through the above material and also….

1. Developing in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 Jump Start.

2. http://geekswithblogs.net/WTFNext/archive/2012/10/08/exam-70-480-study-material-programming-in-html5-with-javascript-and.aspx

Thanks and Regards,
    Manjunath

14. By chris on November 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Manjunath. Those are both very good resources. I will include them in the main post.

15. By Sergey on November 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hi Chris!

Thank you very much for you contribution! Have passed the exam today.

16. By Trong on November 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thank you for sharing. I will be taking this exam early next year and your post will be such a great help!

17. By pow on November 27, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hello, thanks for the list. Do you need to write any code in the exam? Or just choose from the list the elements and make it?

18. By Thomas on November 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Thanks Cris!
    Why are you reffering to the XML-DOM in the section “Write Code that Interacts with UI controls” and not the HTML-DOM (http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/default.asp)?

Regards
    T

19. By Andres Paz on November 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Hey Chris,

Great post! I’m going to be taking the exam soon and this is helping a lot.
    One thing: I’m not sure how much linear/radial gradients matter on the exam, but I couldn’t really get the syntax of radial gradients. I found a post on The Art of Web that explains them with a bit more detail. Also, the link you posted says W3Schools but it’s actually linking to CSS-Tricks.

The Art of Web: http://www.the-art-of-web.com/css/radial-gradients/

Thanks,
    Andres

20. By Vibgyor on December 1, 2012 at 12:18 am

I passed the exam today. Thanks a lot for the info and the links. This helped a lot.
    Totally 40 questions. Exam Duration: 2 hours

21. By vibgyor on December 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I passed the exam today. Thanks a lot for the information regarding this exam.

22. By desire on December 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi I am getting HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error while scheduling the exam please help

23. By Harald Schult Ulriksen on December 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi Chris,

thanks for your guide. I recently passed the exam by following your links. For readers not familiar with javascript inheritance, prototype, this and scope – I can highly recommend trying it yourself with some simple objects, a web page and perhaps also a web worker.

Thanks,
    Harald.

24. By Gaspard on December 7, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Dear Chris,
    Thank you for your effort. You have made my day!

25. By Wang on December 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I pass the exam follow your guide, it’s awesome! thank you very much

26. By mostafa on December 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm
  27. [...] HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 Jump Start that includes small assessments and these resources suggested by folks who have passed the exam.Also see: Free 42 episode video series on HTML5, CSS3, [...]

28. [...] how did I prepare for this exam? This is THE ultimate study guide (Blogged by Chris: Microsoft Exam 70-480 Study Guide) I recommend everybody to use, it is damn complete and comprehensive that it makes you near [...]

29. By Michael Krone on December 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I passed today – The exam is not that dificult. If you prepare with the given resources you will pass easily. Thanks for the fantasitc list of resources.

30. By Kamil on December 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thank you, I passed the exam today!

31. By Ramkumar Ramaraj on December 18, 2012 at 6:30 am

Dear Chris,

Thanks a lot.. My exam date is 26 Dec..

32. By FZ on December 19, 2012 at 10:28 am

I passed the exam today.

Thank you!

33. By Leanne on December 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thanks Chris this is a really useful resource! Taking the exam in February, its really hard to find many resources about it so much appreciated.

34. By tommy on December 22, 2012 at 12:49 am

Chris,

Thank you for this outline. I passed today and this was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Best regards,
    Tom

35. By Himadri on December 31, 2012 at 7:11 am

It is really a very nice and helpful blog.Thanks a lot for your help and effort. :)

36. By Rashid on December 31, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thank you so much for your valuable inputs. I’ve taken my exam today and have passed with a good 850+ score and your blog post has helped me more than anything else to prepare for the exam. Thanks a lot!
    A few helpful hints for others preparing for this exam:
    Time isn’t going to be an issue. Given time should be enough for you to go through each question twice!
    Master jQuery, especially selectors and ajax.
    Learn advanced features of JavaScript (inheritance, prototype, constructor; inheritance was particularly difficult to understand at first, at least for me).
    Create your own sample files to test CSS3 features, JavaScript code and the new HTML5 features (and jQuery). There is no better option than handson learning.
    Get Windows 8 and VS2012, run codeSHOW (codeshow.codeplex.com) and play with their samples to get a through understanding.
    Go through IE10 Guide for Developers (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh673549(v=vs.85).aspx).

37. By Ari on January 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for the useful study guide Chris. I passed the exam today after reviewing the material you mention in this post. I found the w3schools tryit editors very useful for working out how various JavaScript code works.

38. By Matt on January 3, 2013 at 7:49 am

Thanks for putting this up! I’m a network engineer who’s trying to add some development skills to my resume… and who know’s maybe I’ll port over to development altogether someday as it seems a lot more interesting and creative than what I do.

Since I had to start somewhere, I decided to set a goal of taking this exam in about six months. I have no idea whether I’ll be ready or not in that time, but I find a deadline to be a helpful thing.

These are some great resources. I took a class in Java in college, but that was a while back so I’m basically a complete noob. Using some of these online resources today I was able to open up Visual Studio and put together a JavaScript calculator using a lot of the material covered by the test. I feel like it was a good start. I’m really looking forward to picking up yet more as I work my way through this list.

39. By Joao Grassi on January 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Thank you for this guide. I’ll take the exam on Feb 6. Does anyone know any practical test?

40. [...] used for this test is a bit sloppier than my former posts (Microsoft Exam 70-486 Study Guide and Microsoft Exam 70-480 Study Guide) as well as very incomplete.  However, a number of readers have requested that I at least post a [...]

41. By Pradeep on January 11, 2013 at 4:31 am

Thanks for the Study guide. It has helped to learn a lot of things and to clear the test as well.

42. By Eli on January 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Chris,

Thanks for this study guide. I passed my exam today with 3 days to prepare. I scheduled my exam on Monday for today and freaked out when I learned the scope of the test. I tried to reschedule for next week but I needed to pay $35, so I said screw it. Glad I found this guide when I did.

Just kinda disappointed that there are MS-only specific questions.

Cheers!

43. By Bruce Passed MS Exam 70-480 « Bruce's nLabs Blog on January 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm

[...] Microsoft Exam 70-480 Study Guide [...]

44. By Przygotowania czas zacząć | leszczynski.it on January 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

[...] 70-480 study guide [...]

45. By radhika on January 17, 2013 at 10:09 am

Hey Chris,
    Does you know if questions on promises are being asked in the exam?

46. By Poornima Neelakandan on January 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Fantastic collection of exam materials…Passed the exam with great score.Keep up the good work!!

47. By chris on January 20, 2013 at 4:21 am

Radhika,
    I was not tested on Promises in the tests outlined for this blog series (70-486, 70-480, & 70-487). However, I would imagine that this is a concept that would be covered on a WinJS test, since the technology is used extensively in that framework. Therefore, my guess is that tests 70-481 & 70-482 probably have questions for this concept. Great question! I hope that my response is helpful.

48. By Wesley Baldanw on January 21, 2013 at 1:59 am

Hi Chris…… thanks so much… I made the exam yesterday, and I passed. Your tutorial helped me a lot.

49. By Ro on January 21, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks heaps for your post. It is very helpful.

Can I also suggest that you add the following tutorial from MSDN?
    AND/OR

I found it helpful to brush up on syntax etc.

Cheers,
    Ro

50. By Roj on January 26, 2013 at 4:39 am

hi, just passed the exam… thank you for this because it covered the topics i didnt learn in the jumpstart tutorial by microsoft

51. By Jaime Lyn on January 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Alas, I found this list the night before my exam. It’s very comprehensive! I’m using it as my study guide for the retake! :) Thanks for posting it!!

52. By CK on January 28, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Dude…I went through only your blog thoroughly before my certification examination and guess what ! I am now Microsoft Certified. Can you believe this !!!…. Thanks Man!!!!

53. By Matt S on February 4, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for this study guide. I went over it thoroughly and passed the exam yesterday. I plan on using your other two guides to help me with the next tests. Thanks a lot!

54. By Casper Span on February 6, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hi Chris,

Just a quick thank you for this awesome guide. I just passed the exam. Now it’s time to go on with your other two guide to set me up for 70-486 & 70-487! Thanks a lot for this complete and comprehensive guide.

regards,
    Casper

55. By alirezaa110 on February 14, 2013 at 3:16 am

Hi,

Thanks for the great guide. For the section:

Implement and Manipulate Document Structures and Objects>Write Code that Interacts with UI controls>“programmatically add and modify HTML elements”

Do you think that these two links:

would be more appropriate than:

http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_element.asp ?

56. By Steve on February 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to thank you for your guide. I passed the test last week. Now onto 70-487…

Appreesh!
    Steve

57. By chris on February 20, 2013 at 4:13 am

Great feedback alirezaa110! I’ve added the additional link to that section. I didn’t realize until just now that the previous link I had was specific to the XML DOM.

58. [...] a similar study guide: http://www.bloggedbychris.com/2012/09/19/microsoft-exam-70-480-study-guide/ (Click the Show/Hide link for each [...]

59. [...] Blogged By Chris - www.bloggedbychris.com/2012/09/19/microsoft-exam-70-480-study-guide/ [...]

60. By Erik on February 26, 2013 at 6:41 pm

How many questions are on the 70-480 Exam?

61. By Stuart Dobson on February 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Hi Chris,

Just found this really awesome guide to jQuery selectors especially for this exam.

62. By forex signals providers on February 28, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Greetings, There’s no doubt that your website could be having web browser compatibility issues. Whenever I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, wonderful website!

63. By Erik on February 28, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Hey Chris,
    I found an awesome training guide for the 70-480 exam. You can get it this week for only $23. It specifically says it prepares for the 70-480 exam. The title of the book is – Training Guide: Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 by Glen Johnson from O’reilly Books. It is available for early release now in e-book format. Check it out.

64. By RF on March 1, 2013 at 2:18 am

Thanks Chris, passed yesterday with the help of your guide and the MVA jump start videos.

65. By ss on March 1, 2013 at 7:58 am

Chris, thank you for putting up these reference material. It was highly helpful and I passed the exam with a score of 785. In my opinion, you must include more details on jQuery

66. By Samuel Roshan on March 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hi Cris!! I passed the exam with a almost good score!!

Thank you so much for the wonderful guide and bringing all useful links together in one place! This guide helped me focus on the reading rather than googling/binging for answers!! :-)
    Really appreciate your effort!!

Thanks,
    Sam

67. By Samuel Roshan on March 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm

BTW does anyone here knows the total score of the whole exam? If the passing score is 700, then whats the overall score? 1000?

68. By Rich Reeves on March 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Hi Chris,

Just a note to say thanks for the study guide. I used it religiously over the past 3 weeks and passed with a 935/1000 today (1st March).

The closures link was possibly the only exception.. reads like a legal document! But there are more accessible pages out there if you Google ‘what is a closure JavaScript’.

On to 70-486..!

Thanks again. Great work.

Rich

69. By MSJose on March 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hi Chris,
    Just passed the exam; thanks for your great guide. Similar to Casper… I’m moving on to 70-486 & 70-487!

Best regards,
    M

70. By hesi exam on March 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for the Study guide. It has helped to learn a lot of things and do my best to clear the test as well.
    waiting for your next blog..

71. By jamaya on March 4, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I read books and saw some videos but then I found out this guide.
    It’s really complete and clear, I passed my exam last friday! Thanks

72. By Padmika on March 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Hi Chris cleared the exam today this guide was great thanks for your efforts , for others looking to do the exam if you dont have experience first get a book that has HTML CSS Javascript do a couple of small projects (they are fun to do) and then go through this guide you’ll pass with flying colors…

73. By Erik on March 7, 2013 at 12:08 am

I appreciate your study guide. I passed the exam today with a score of 978/1000. It was not an easy exam by any means. One must write code to understand everything.

74. By Olena Sanjarova on March 9, 2013 at 1:59 am

Hi Chris,

I just passed the test – in large measure thanks to your guide. It really helped me prepare. Thank you for putting the effort into compiling the materials and making them available to the rest of us.

Cheers!

Elena

75. By Roxanne A. on March 11, 2013 at 8:08 am

Hello Chris,

So… this is the first Microsof certification I want to take, and i have a question. I understand that there are 40 questions; what type of questions are there(e.g multiple chioce, code writing, explanation??).
    Anyways, thanks a lot for the guide, hope I will pass, even if I have little Html5 or Css3 experience. Will keep you posted after the exam ;).

76. By Roxanne A. on March 11, 2013 at 8:21 am

Me again; just read again the guide, and realised that you already explained how the questions look like. Knew i read something about them, but a lot of info got mixed up in my head, and forgot where. Thanks again.

You can delete my comments :).

77. By Juan Cuartas on March 11, 2013 at 11:33 pm

This guide is awesome, i just pass the exam today studying for one week, thank you.

78. By RS on March 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

Thanks Chris, your article provided a lot of help in preparing for 70-480

79. By Bruno Maia on March 18, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Thanks so much… I made the exam today, and I passed. Your tutorial helped me a lot.

80. By CHANDU on March 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for guide! Just passed the exam got score 1000.Your guide was very helpful. Thanks again.

81. By Himanshu on March 22, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I cleared my exam today and foloowing link is sufficient as it covers complete syllabus.
    just read these for 1 hour for 1 week (worked for me) and u will clear exam.

82. By Andrew on March 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for the guide. Just passed the test today.

Again much appreciated.

Andrew

83. By H on March 22, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Chris,

Thank you so much for the guide, it is very very useful and helps students studying for 70-480.

If anyone is interested in Web Sockets, the following may help:

For regular expressions learning, the following site is brilliant – an on-line editor:

Many thanks..

84. By Hisamitsu on March 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Tks for this post!
    I’ll take the test this week…

Here’s a nice HTML5 guide that I’ve found: http://diveintohtml5.info/

85. By hesi practice questions on March 26, 2013 at 5:05 am

thanks for such a useful tips,this will be helpful for me in exam

86. By Hisamitsu on March 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Hi Chris,
    Just to send you a feedback: yes, this guide was very helpfull!
    I’ve studied basically using your Guide + The Jumpstart videos https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/learn-html5-with-javascript-css3-jumpstart-training + http://diveintohtml5.info/

I just passed the exam!

Congrats for the initiative!

87. By Marcos on March 29, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Hey Chris,

Thanks for this guide. I passed my exam today with a score of 850 and I owe a lot of it to this guide that you have compiled. Keep up the good work!

88. By Microsoft Exam 70-480 on March 29, 2013 at 9:51 pm

[...] If you’re looking for a great guide on the topics covered, use http://www.bloggedbychris.com/2012/09/19/microsoft-exam-70-480-study-guide/ [...]

89. By Roxanne A. on April 1, 2013 at 6:29 am

Hi,
    Thanks to you I passed the exam. This is the only guide I used for studying beside the Microsoft Jumpstart, and I scored 935, with little previous experience in web development. So, your guide is quite complete ;).

Thank you!

90. By chris on April 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm

1000???!?!? That is awesome Chandu! Congrats!!

91. By chris on April 4, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Questions include all, but “explanation”. There will be multiple choice (single answer), multiple choice (multiple answer), and code writing (through drag and drop interface).

92. By chris on April 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Yes Samuel, it is 1000. Therefore a 100% would be 1000/1000.

93. By chris on April 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Thanks forex. I will look into the issues w/ browser compatibility. The site design could definitely use some work.

94. By Phen 375 on April 10, 2013 at 4:19 am

idapzcmphhfeczdisjt, Phen375, NsryTkR, [url=http://phen375web.com/]Phen 375[/url], rjpQyjn, http://phen375web.com/ Buy phen 375, vNVvpFL.

95. By CSiER on April 10, 2013 at 7:39 am

Really great guide. Thank you very much! :•)

96. By Arief Shah on April 21, 2013 at 9:27 am

Today i passed the exam with 935/1000, this post has helped me a lot.thanks

97. By Madelaine on April 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm

This is very fascinating, You are a very professional blogger.
    I have joined your feed and stay up for in quest of more
    of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

98. By Michael Niebuhr on May 1, 2013 at 11:42 am

Hi Chris.

I’m about to take the MCSD Web Apps certification, and have a question: How big a part does Windows 8 play in this exam? (My workplace does not use Windows 8 yet, so unless I find another computer with Windows 8, I’m stuck on Windows 7) Will it be possible, in your opinion, to take the exam just fine using Windows 7 for the preparation?

99. By jaime on May 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Is node.js part of the certification exam?

100. By Aayam on May 3, 2013 at 4:18 am

Hi Chris,
    I am interested to start my career as web developer and I am fresh (don’t have any experience with HTML, JavaScript and CSS)….Can you please show me a way to start? Is it worth for anyone like me to take and pass this exam 70-480???
    IT background: I am CompTIA A+, MCSA: Windows 7.
    Thank you!

101. By chris on May 10, 2013 at 8:47 pm

node.js is not a part of any of the MS exams

102. By chris on May 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Michael,

To study for the MCSD test Win 7 + VS 2012 will be sufficient.

103. By Hans on May 16, 2013 at 11:44 am

I passed the 70-480 exam. Thanks to this blog, I was more confident.

104. By spacebread on May 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Your link for:

CSS Structure and Rules (htmlhelp.com)
    Covers “reference elements correctly”

Seems to give wrong information regarding !important:

“Authors should be wary of using ! important rules since they will override any of the user’s ! important rules.”

as well as other places in the article mentioning the same thing.

But the correct implementation of !important from http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html:

By default, rules in author style sheets have more weight than rules in user style sheets. Precedence is reversed, however, for “!important” rules.

Meaning that the User’s rules will override the Author’s if they are both !important.

105. By Jan Kratochvil on July 7, 2013 at 10:34 am

I bunch of digestible (compared to the W3C spec) resources for the “Use CSS3 in Applications” module can be found in the IE dev guide on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/bg124103(v=vs.85).aspx.

106. By reddy on July 22, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Hi,

For some reason links are not working on this page. I mean when I tried to click on any one under any section its not opening corresponding page.

107. By babu on July 23, 2013 at 8:04 am

Hi,
    To obtain MCSD how many exams i have to write.

108. By chris on August 5, 2013 at 1:03 am

@reddy: My appologies for the difficulty in clicking the links. I’m unable to reproduce the issue on my end. If you have issues with specific links, please let me know.

109. By chris on August 5, 2013 at 1:06 am

@babu, depends on which MCSD you are trying to obtain. Both Web Applications and Store Applications consist of 3 tests. Some of the tests are shared between the two, so it’s only four tests total to obtain both. Specifics can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsd-certification.aspx

110. By Edwin on August 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Awesome blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform
    like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there
    that I’m completely confused .. Any ideas? Bless you!

111. By Microsoft Exam 70-480 | Baron's Life on August 21, 2013 at 9:35 am

[...] AJAX questions can be tricky.. 3. Get this Dump..Pay for the software, it worth it 4. Check this Blog written by Crhis..Follow the study [...]

112. By kim on August 25, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Hello, constantly i used to check blog posts here in the
    early hours in the morning, for the reason that i like to gain knowledge of more and more.

113. By Maureen Millonado on August 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Chris for putting this altogether.

114. By lakpa on September 6, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your information. I passed my exam today scored 976.

115. By Ramir on September 10, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Thank you Chris for a well-written article. I used this as a reviewer to pass my exam.

116. By chris on September 17, 2013 at 6:36 am

@lakpa, congrats on passing the exam. Glad that I was able to help.

117. By How I passed 70-480 | SPMatt on September 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm

[...] particular one, I thought I’d list a few for consideration. You could use Chris Myers’ Microsoft Exam 70-480 Study Guide, Becky Bertram’s Exam 70-480 Study Guide, the post Exam 70-480 Study Material: Programming in [...]

118. By Helping You Study for Exam 70-480 HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript on September 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm

[...] but hopefully gives you a direction in which to get started studying. I should also link the resource I used when studying. I purposefully did not look at his documents while writing this because I [...]

119. By Concerned Citizen on October 1, 2013 at 9:06 pm

For the examples given and for training in general I would stay clear of w3schools as for reasons noted in http://w3fools.com

As stated there:

W3Schools.com is not affiliated with the W3C in any way. Members of the W3C have asked W3Schools to explicitly disavow any connection in the past, and they have refused to do so.

Reasons are that the W3Schools name implies for some reason to people that they are somehow related to W3C and are a verified authority in the field,…which they are not.

W3Schools Certifications have no meaning to any employer and are far from comparable to the equivalent official Microsoft MCP certifications or similar. I suppose you do get a fancy logo saying you completed the course.

Where should one go for valid and up-to-date information?

For information on HTML, CSS and JavaScript go to sites like W3C obviously (also mentioned by your article) and in addition, the Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) site (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/).
    MDN makes every effort to stay up-to-date and is the closest you will get to W3C compliant information outside the W3C site.

For a more detailed JavaScript source the official ECMA documentation is also a great read.

For additional information use vetted sites like HTML5Rocks for example, though W3C and MDN should be more than enough.

Either way, going to sites like W3Schools can end up being more harmful than helpful.

120. By John McFarlane on October 7, 2013 at 1:21 pm

first time doing these exams. what is HOTSPOT after some questions?

121. By Sean on October 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I am doing the exam next week Friday. Even though I have a book I use as a reference, this blog is being/has been integral in my preparation. I’ll let you know what happens :-)

122. By chris on October 16, 2013 at 4:47 am

@Sean, Good to hear and good luck to you (not that you will need luck). Ping me back here or on twitter (@myerscj) with your results.

123. By chris on October 16, 2013 at 4:58 am

@Conerned Citizen, thank you for your well thought comment regarding W3Schools. I can (as well as many others) agree with you on this subject matter. I am not heavy on the JavaScript / HTML / CSS side, so I do not have a ton of opinion on what you say here. However, I have always found that W3Schools provided me with a quick answer to most questions I have had. Furthermore, the references I list in this post are the exact references I used to pass the test, so my assertion is that the information on the W3Schools site provides adequate information in order to pass the 70-480 test (along with hands on experience, which is probably helpful for filling the gaps).

124. By John McFarlane on October 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

how many questions will be in the exam typically?

125. By Jimmy on October 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Are there any practice exams you’d suggest?

126. By chris on October 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

@Jimmy, Sorry, I personally do not know of any. Hopefully a reader will stumble by this comment and have a suggestion.

127. By Kathirvel Mariappan on October 21, 2013 at 7:04 am

@Chris thanks for the material , i have started working on this :)

128. By Jimmy on October 21, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Thanks for the follow-up Chris. I’m thinking Transcender at this point for practice tests. Thank you for putting this all together. I started off my training with the Exam Ref: 70-480 book and became frustrated with it very quickly. A Google search brought me here and I’ve never looked back.

129. By Sean on October 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Here’s another resource I found today… another 48 hours to go and I’ll let you know how it goes!

130. By Sean on October 26, 2013 at 1:15 am

Did the exam today folks and passed with an 860! Feeling great! NEXT!!!

131. By chris on October 31, 2013 at 8:41 am

@Sean, thx! I will get this added pronto. Thank you for helping the cause.

132. By John McFarlane on November 11, 2013 at 6:20 pm

failed the exam today scocred 680 when the pass score is 700…scored all sections over 75% except CSS which was less than 60% which caused the failure.

133. By John McFarlane on November 11, 2013 at 7:15 pm

by the way I have asked before how many questions? i know the answer now…I got about 45 questions and the time is 2.30 hours.

134. By Hanna on December 5, 2013 at 12:47 am

I tend not to comment, but I looked through some
    comments on this page Blogged By Chris

135. By javascript developers on December 23, 2013 at 7:46 am

It can be a classic nice and helpful little bit of details. I will be content that you simply contributed this handy info along with us. Be sure to keep us informed like that. Appreciation for expressing.

136. By Ana Russo on January 3, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Hi Chris! Just found your blog. I have to take this exam this month and I’m going to use this guide. Hope it helps ;) Thanks!

137. By Rolando CR on January 26, 2014 at 1:11 am

Thanks for this guide, I’ll do the exam in 3 days!!! Greetings from Costa Rica.

138. By David on February 19, 2014 at 11:00 am

Did you ever go through these practice exams? If so, were they similar or are these exams completely off?

139. By john on February 27, 2014 at 11:15 am

Thanks for the guidance.I cleared the exam.I learned from http://wisentechnologies.com/it-courses/html-css-javascript-jquery-training.aspx

140. By Panther on March 1, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the guide. Looks like Microsoft does a revision every two years. From other blogs I understand that the contents would be updated from March, 2014. What are your thoughts on that? Will this guide needs a revision?

141. By Panther on March 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Chris,

If I pass just one exam, will I earn any title/badge?

Thanks.

142. By Maryellen on April 4, 2014 at 4:26 pm

We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your site offered us with valuable information to work on.
    You’ve performed an impressive activity and our entire group might be grateful to you.

143. By chris on April 7, 2014 at 4:58 am

@Panther, if you pass just one exam, you earn the MCTS title / badge (Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist). You will also have the certification in the area you take the test for.

144. By chris on April 7, 2014 at 5:01 am

@Panther, thanks for the note about the content changing. I was not aware that the test content was refreshed. I don’t believe that this would make the content in this post entirely worthless. However, it might need to be refreshed.